The Real Price of Gasoline

by Richard T. Stuebi

A couple of weeks ago, 17 Democratic governors, including Governor Strickland of my state of Ohio, sent a letter to President Bush urging that something be done to lower gasoline prices. (News release and letter text on Governor Strickland web site)

I was contacted by an Ohio AP wire reporter to comment on this letter. In responding, I said such a letter was at best naive — just what can the President really do to lower gasoline prices? — but more importantly ill-advised. Higher energy prices help us reduce our “addiction” to oil from sources of increasing concern, as well as reduce emissions and encourage the development and adoption of new energy alternatives. In other words, I had the gall to claim that higher gasoline prices were actually good, not bad.

Of course, this was not exactly a popular position to take, and my quotes generated a bit of buzz across the state. (See example from the Coshocton Tribune) A key element of my argument was that customers are prevented from facing the true cost of gasoline, as the expenditures on military protection of oil production, refining and transportation in and around the increasingly dangerous Middle East are not recovered through gasoline taxes, but rather through income taxes.

I recalled a presentation I had heard from last summer, suggesting that these subsidies were on the order of $10/gallon. The problem was: my memory was vague, I had never seen the actual study, I wasn’t sure that I fully believed the results and couldn’t confirm its validity, but I knew that the conclusions were at least directionally correct. So, I weaseled in my interview, saying something like “Some observers have calculated the subsidy at $10/gallon.” Naturally, the reportage indicated that the $10/gallon figure was mine. I assure you: it wasn’t. I have told many people that my instinct (without any substantiating analysis) suggests that the subsidy is probably in the $3-5/gallon range. Mind you, still a meaningful number, any way you slice it.

So, after the interviews and articles, I went back to find the study that was at the root of my recollection of a $10/gallon subsidy figure. The analysis belongs to Milton Copulos, the President of the National Defense Council Foundation. Mr. Copulos apparently updated his work this past January, and he now suggests a subsidy of $8.35/gallon of gasoline refined from Persian Gulf oil. Since the Persian Gulf reflects roughly 40% of world oil production, this implies a $3.35/gallon subsidy when spread across all gallons of gasoline. That’s more in line with my expectations.

Again, a meaningful number. It means that gasoline prices should be, not $3/gallon, but on the order of $6/gallon, about what gasoline prices actually are in Europe. Moreover, this price level doesn’t include the environmental costs associated with burning gasoline. How much additional might this represent?

All told, my idea of a phased-in gasoline tax increase still seems sensible to me, so that the price signals to customers would begin to more closely match the true full cost of oil exports out of the Middle East. I was pleased to note a Cincinnati Enquirer editorial that was generally very supportive of my arguments, though less ambitious than my yearly 50 cent/gallon increase.

I don’t expect to win any votes with this position — not even in Cincinnati. Thank goodness I have no political aspirations.

Richard T. Stuebi is the BP Fellow for Energy and Environmental Advancement at The Cleveland Foundation, and is also the Founder and President of NextWave Energy, Inc.

1. Dan Lyke
    Dan Lyke says:

Just a heads-up: You mean ndcf.org, not ncdf.org . Since I'm about to link to this piece, quoting that paragraph, with that correction, I'll wait 'til it's fixed…Thanks.

2. Peterbart
    Peterbart says:

But if you did want to run for office, you might want to propose a commesurate reduction in income taxes to go along with the gas tax. After all, paying for what you use is as American as apple pie.

货架货架货架滚轮货架汽配库货架钢托盘置物架线棒货架登高车手推车堆垛架仓储笼抽屉货架阁楼货架悬臂货架贯通货架货位货架中型货架中型货架轻型货架中型货架重型货架货位货架中量B型货架钢平台阁楼货架悬臂货架线棒货架模具货架中量A型货架轻型货架汽配库货架货架中型货架中型货架货位货架4S店货架阁楼货架贯通货架悬臂货架模具货架线棒货架手推车塑料托盘堆垛架置物架物流台车登高车仓储笼托盘轻型货架货架货架货位货架托盘轻型货架贯通货架中型货架钢制托盘塑料托盘登高车仓储笼堆垛架手推车 角钢货架置物架中型货架货位货架阁楼货架贯通货架悬臂货架汽配库货架模具货架线棒货架中型货架货架货架贯通式货架纸托盘轻型货架货架货架货位货架中量B型货架轻型货架货架钢托盘角钢货架中量B型货架仓库货架中量A型货架通廊货架4S店货架阁楼货架悬臂货架抽屉货架木托盘线棒货架塑木托盘塑料托盘登高车物流台车 悬臂货架手推车料箱仓储笼货架中型货架中量A型货架轻型货架货架货架木托盘悬臂货架阁楼货架中量A型货架货位货架中量B型货架贯通货架钢托盘仓储笼登高车悬臂货架模具货架4S店货架阁楼货架线棒货架塑料托盘登高车仓储笼托盘中型货架中型货架角钢货架货架货架仓储设备塑料托盘料箱手推车物流台车堆垛架中型货架中型货架轻型货架轻型货架中量型货架仓储笼物流台车手推车塑料托盘钢制托盘钢制料箱中量B型货架货位货架贯通货架悬臂货架4S店货架线棒货架货架轻型货架4S店货架货位货架手推车登高车阁楼货架贯通货架中型货架汽配库货架货架中型货架中型货架物流台车仓储笼登高车手推车塑料托盘钢托盘线棒货架悬臂货架模具货架贯通货架货位货架托盘轻型货架货位货架贯通货架模具货架悬臂货架线棒货架钢托盘塑料托盘手推车登高车仓储笼物流台车中型货架中型货架托盘仓储货架工作台工具柜料箱物流台车堆垛架仓储笼登高车手推车木托盘钢托盘塑料托盘线棒阁楼货架抽屉货架汽配库货架贯通货架悬臂货架重型货架中型货架中型货架轻型货架货架货架轻型货架料箱物流台车工具柜工作台静音手推车登高车仓储笼塑料托盘钢制托盘钢托盘托盘中型货架角钢货架重型货架悬臂货架线棒货架模具货架贯通货架阁楼货架物流台车仓储笼工具柜工作台钢托盘塑料托盘仓储笼钢托盘仓储笼物流台车货架仓储笼钢制托盘物流台车工作台工具柜轻型货架重型货架中型货架角钢货架货架汽配库货架阁楼货架悬臂货架抽屉货架中型货架中量型货架仓储笼托盘轻型货架货位式货架货架货架仓储笼物流台车工作台工具柜托盘悬臂货架托盘塑料托盘钢制托盘木托盘中型货架货架货架轻型货架轻型货架轻型货架中型货架中型货架中型货架悬臂货架贯通货架模具货架钢托盘仓储笼登高车堆垛架物流台车物流台车堆垛架登高车仓储笼钢托盘模具货架汽配库货架贯通货架悬臂货架中型货架中型货架网片塑料托盘物流台车登高车钢制托盘仓储笼工具柜工作台线棒货架中型货架钢托盘仓储笼登高车物流台车货架仓储笼托盘中型货架悬臂货架

塑料托盘重型货架中型货架角钢货架轻型货架托盘塑料托盘物流台车工作台 工具柜仓储笼重型货架阁楼货架悬臂货架抽屉货架物流台车登高车静音手推车手推车塑料托盘钢制托盘工具柜工作台角钢货架仓储笼仓储笼钢托盘货架角钢货架中型货架中型货架流利式货架线棒货架悬臂货架阁楼货架4S店货架贯通货架仓储笼登高车物流台车钢托盘轻型货架中型货架仓储笼物流台车手推车托盘托盘料箱堆垛架悬臂货架横梁货架中型货架阁楼货架线棒货架工具柜货架货架货架木托盘托盘塑料托盘钢制托盘托盘仓储笼物流台车工作台工具柜托盘中型货架货架线棒货架抽屉货架悬臂货架阁楼货架货位货架中型货架轻型货架中型货架仓储笼登高车堆垛架钢托盘塑料托盘木托盘工具柜工作台手推车物流台车钢制料箱堆高车油桶搬运车托盘搬运车轻型货架托盘塑料托盘仓储笼中型货架悬臂货架阁楼货架货位货架仓储货架仓储货架仓储设备悬臂式货架悬臂货架货架搁板式货架货架货架工作台工具柜塑料托盘钢制托盘仓储笼重型货架中型货架轻型货架角钢货架工作台工具柜塑料托盘钢制托盘仓储笼重型货架中型货架轻型货架角钢货架货架中量型货架模具货架贯通货架悬臂货架轻型货架中型货架货位货架阁楼货架汽配库货架搬运车货架工具柜工作台塑料托盘中型货架角钢货架轻型货架重型货架托盘仓储笼塑料托盘货位货架钢托盘中型货架中型货架悬臂货架抽屉货架登高车料箱堆垛架轻型货架钢制托盘4S店货架模具架贯通货架辊轮货架悬臂货架阁楼货架横梁货架工具柜仓储笼角钢货架中型货架中量A型货架流利式货架线棒货架悬臂货架阁楼货架登高车物流台车置物架钢托盘线棒货架轻型货架中型货架仓储笼物流台车手推车托盘钢托盘钢制料箱堆垛架悬臂货架横梁货架中型货架轻型货架贯通货架纸托盘货架货架货架货架货架工具柜角钢货架塑料托盘轻型货架料箱中型货架中型货架钢托盘工作台重型货架仓储笼货架货架货架塑料托盘钢托盘仓储笼重型货架中型货架轻型货架手推车堆垛架物流台车料箱工作台工具柜货架托盘仓储笼工具柜工作台塑料托盘登高车货架货架货架货架货架货架货架货架货架轻型货架悬臂货架钢托盘仓储笼物流台车工作台工具柜塑料托盘轻型货架悬臂货架塑料托盘仓储笼物流台车工作台工具车钢托盘轻型货架重型货架仓储笼钢制托盘工作台货架轻型货架中型货架仓储笼钢托盘工具柜角钢货架悬臂货架工作台塑料托盘货架重型货架角钢货架托盘仓储笼料箱工具柜工作台物流台车堆垛架登高车货架托盘货架角钢货架钢托盘仓储笼料箱货架工具柜手推车木托盘货架中型货架重型货架悬臂货架工作台塑料托盘钢托盘仓储笼

货架网片丝网隔离网货架塑料托盘钢托盘托盘仓储笼网片护栏网勾花网隔离栅刺绳护栏网球场护栏网园林护栏网机场护栏网厂区护栏网公路护栏网网片护栏网片公路护栏铁路护栏护栏隔离栅刺绳仓储笼托盘货架勾花网丝网电焊网货架货架货架网片护栏护栏公司不锈钢护栏铁艺护栏交通护栏园林护栏金属护栏护栏厂道路护栏高速公路护栏护栏网公路护栏护栏网片厂勾花网电焊网钢板网刺绳斜方网不锈钢丝网铁丝网护栏网丝网网片乌鸡蛋乌鸡蛋乌鸡蛋绿壳乌鸡蛋绿壳鸡蛋绿壳蛋南京绿壳蛋鸡护栏网护栏公路护栏护栏网道路护栏金属护栏园林护栏交通护栏交通护栏铁艺护栏不锈钢护栏不锈钢护栏护栏公司南京冠帝护栏厂公路护栏网护栏网高速公路护栏网道路护栏网护栏厂护栏公路护栏护栏网高速公路护栏道路护栏 道路护栏护栏厂货架网片金属护栏园林护栏交通护栏铁艺护栏不锈钢护栏护栏公司南京冠帝护栏厂护栏公路护栏网护栏网高速公路护栏网道路护栏网护栏厂金属护栏园林护栏网交通护栏铁艺护栏不锈钢护栏护栏公司货架冠帝生物出口乌鸡蛋乌鸡蛋价格首乌鸡蛋冠帝企业天津乌鸡蛋上海乌鸡蛋北京乌鸡蛋绿壳蛋绿壳乌鸡蛋南京乌鸡蛋乌鸡绿壳蛋乌鸡蛋仓储货架货架厂货架塑料托盘托盘护栏网高速公路护栏栏杆交通护栏护栏管护栏网护栏网片仓储货架仓库笼物流设备仓储设备仓储笼钢托盘塑料托盘钢制托盘托盘货架制造货架公司仓库货架仓储货架货架厂货架

货架钢托盘托盘托盘托盘托盘塑料托盘木托盘木托盘仓储笼仓储笼仓储笼仓储笼登高车登高车登高车 登高车 登高车料箱料箱料箱手推车手推车手推车物流台车贯通货架悬臂货架货架货位货架阁楼货架静音手推车静音手推车物流台车物流台车堆垛架置物架轻型货架轻型货架轻型货架轻型货架轻型货架轻型货架货架轻型货架角钢货架货架中型货架中型货架重型货架线棒货架线棒货架线棒货架线棒货架线棒阁楼货架阁楼货架阁楼货架阁楼货架模具货架模具货架抽屉货架抽屉货架滚轮货架货架悬臂货架悬臂货架悬臂货架悬臂货架通廊货架通廊货架通廊货架通廊货架托盘货架横梁货架横梁货架横梁货架南京货架南京货架南京货架南京货架南京货架南京货架南京货架货架厂货架厂货架厂仓储货架仓储货架仓储货架仓储货架仓储货架仓库货架仓库货架仓库货架仓库货架货架公司货架公司货架公司仓储设备钢托盘钢制托盘塑料托盘登高车手推车仓储笼物流台车钢制料箱网片工具柜工作台货架厂货架公司仓库货架仓储货架货架钢制托盘钢托盘塑料托盘托盘料箱刚制料箱工作桌手推车仓储笼工作台工具车工具柜物流台车货架货架轻型货架托盘角钢货架中型货架重型货架仓储货架仓库货架货架公司货架厂货架钢托盘钢制托盘塑料托盘仓储笼仓储设备工作台工具柜货架南京货架仓储货架货架公司货架厂 宁波货架北京货架广州货架仓库货架仓储设备重型货架货架制造托盘仓储笼物流设备上海货架货架钢制托盘角钢货架货架货架货架轻型货架重型货架托盘钢托盘仓储笼手推车登高车货架厂仓储货架货架货架仓储货架货架厂仓储设备浙江货架宁波货架台州货架温州货架北京货架上海货架托盘钢托盘塑料托盘轻型货架重型货架角钢货架手推车杭州货架娱乐新闻货架货架托盘仓储笼青岛货架济南货架沈阳货架天津货架上海货架北京货架台州货架温州货架宁波货架杭州货架浙江货架仓储笼钢托盘物流设备塑料托盘南京货架货架公司货架厂仓库货架仓储设备仓储货架手推车托盘货架